Labels

Sunday, September 26, 2010

St. Louis Photo Journal



My sister Trish -- she made a cake when I left for St. Louis. At the time, we all thought I was going to Afghanistan or Iraq as a Chaplain. Shortly thereafter the controversy arose about prayer in Jesus' name, and military officials began telling me -- in so many words -- that they wanted chaplains to not pray in Jesus name on certain occasions. Shortly thereafter, I said, "I can't work with you gentlemen."



Marty was one of my favorite men to work with at the Mission.
I also spent a lot of my time at the Mission working with teens. Here is our regular crowd. My co-laborer Jason is in the background.
At the teen center with Courtney. I worked with teens in St. Louis for a year and a half.

A snowy day at the Mission. I worked with homeless men, and men dealing with addiction, for a year and a half as well. It was not, as some may think, difficult ministry. The ministry itself was pure joy.



This is the view from the Mission.



Just after Mom arrived in St. Louis -- at the Zoo. A few months after mom moved to St. Louis she was diagnosed with cancer. She has fought a long and difficult battle to the glory of God. Her faith has shown brightly, and many have seen a clear Christian testimony through her trials. She remains sweet and gentle, loving and generous in her afflictions. She recently told me, "My only purpose in life is to honor the Lord."



Courtney -- one of my favorite young men -- the one time I let him win in wrestling. No matter the place or time, Courtney wanted to wrestle. Young men need christian fathers -- if for no other reason -- to wrestle with.
Doing some stunt man shots at Summer Camp. We had 6 young men, and 4 counselors. Our camp lasted 3 days. I was amazed to see what a difference it makes to have some sustained time of discipleship with these young men.
Taking a cookie break at Summer Camp.
Lunch time at Summer Camp.
Celebrating holidays as a family. Included in pic (Me, my bro Billy, Mom, and Step-Dad).This was last Thanksgiving.
Charles, Chris, and Alex at Twin Oaks Presbyterian. Maintenance men! The three of us dutifully cleaned and worked around the Church as a team for 8 months.
Me and Bro Billy at the Hospital. This was 8 days after mom was admitted to the ICU, when things were looking stern. During this time, I walked around the hospital grounds for 45 minutes and pleaded with God to deliver mom. I sent out numerous prayer requests. We had people all over America praying for mom. And, the Lord answered mightily.
A note on Billy. He is a picture of strength. He left everything (work, home) in South Carolina to come and help care for mom. Mom has now been in ICU 31 days, and has made steady improvements every day. But, we have had to fight hard with medical staff on a daily basis to make sure she gets dignifying and professional care. Mom recently asked me why all these afflictions were sent to her -- I responded by saying, "So that you will have a great story to the glory of God. These have come because of the love of God. Have you ever heard of a person who had an easy life, who sat on the couch all day and took it easy -- have you ever heard of such a person in a great story? No. In all the great stories there is hardship and trial, and by the grace of God, the person overcomes those trials. That is what makes a great story." I'm convinced my mom's trials and response will echo to the glory of God down through the generations -- indeed, through eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment